Loop: a required resource was unavailable

Report problems with POP Peeper

Loop: a required resource was unavailable

Postby Nerdie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:44 pm

Good evening,

First: POP Peeper is the best mail manager!! There's none like it, I really love to use it for years already!

Although since a while I use POP Peeper on a newly configured harddisk. Still running Windows XP, like before, and still using the same mail addresses, something new happens.

Every once in a while, when I click on the system tray icon, POP Peeper comes up, showing an error in gray: 'A required resource was unavailable'. One can then only click OK (the error message box doesn't provide more options).

Doing so though, results in the same error coming up again and again; I can press and hold enter but it doesn't help. So I quit the task of POP Peeper via the Task Manager of Windows, then start POP Peeper again and then it works fine for about 3 days. After that, same procedure.

Do I just miss some library stuff? I updated to the newest version of POP Peeper, PP Tweaker, Webmail plugin etcetera. Probably I should do something more...

To install I used: POPPeeper-Install34.exe, PP_Ssl98b.zip, PP_WebMailv3407.zip, PPTweaker3400.zip. Everything is installed into "D:\POP Peeper".

Thanks in advance for help!

Yours sincerely,
Nerdie.
Nerdie

Re: Loop: a required resource was unavailable

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Welcome to the POP Peeper forums, nerdie. I take it as a good sign that this is your first visit after years of use :)

A couple of questions:

1) Are you using any other optional plugins (skin notifier, screen saver, etc) besides the ones you mentioned (ssl, PPTweaker)?

2) Do you restart your computer or is it always on (ie. no restart in 3 days)?

Ah, I just noticed your version of SSL. The latest SSL build available on poppeeper.com is .9.8j -- you should update and report back if you still have the problem or not:
http://poppeeper.com/Plugins/ssl.php

I think some other people reported a problem with the previous version of SSL (98b) and the newer update resolved the problem.
Jeff
Admin \ Developer

Postby Nerdie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks, Jeff! Yes, POP Peeper is typically one of the few really fantastic tools that simplify one's virtual life!! =D>

The answers:
1. The other optional plugins are not in use. I tried them on my previous configuration though, they're a cool idea anyhow...!
2. It's always on; this may be a bit conservative, but I still believe a computer isn't made for turning off and on all the time. Just a little superstition to keep my prescious hardware in good shape... 8)

OK, I just downloaded the new SSL stuff and installed it, then stopped and started POP Peeper again, just to be sure. It would be great if this is already the solution! :D

Oh, and of course I had already visited your donations page... I'm sorry that I can't do PayPal donations.

It is however possible to transfer money to a bank account anywhere in the world, if one knows the IBAN and BIC (formerly: SWIFT) code. The BIC code is specifically for your bank, the IBAN code is the international banking code for your personal bank account number. In case you wouldn't know them, your bank can provide them to you.

Please put those codes in a private message to me, as I initially didn't provide my true mailaddress, as a habit, and now I don't know how to change that here... :oops: Thanks!!

The costs for the international handling are on me, of course! I already read the instructions of my bank on how to keep you free of that.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you up to date about whether or not the solution works. :D
Nerdie

Postby Jeff » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:13 pm

Keep me updated on the SSL situation. Hopefully that's the solution.

I sent you a PM regarding the donation.
Jeff
Admin \ Developer

Postby Nerdie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:53 am

Hi Jeff,

Well, now it crashes every two days! :lol:

So I tried a search in Google with "a required resource was unavailable"
This is a sense-making result, I guess: http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:lGQ ... =firefox-a

It says something about a memory leak, could I solve that by updating DLL's or anything?

Again, thanks for your help! And good luck with the Aeris Calendar, too! =D>

Greetings,
Nerdie.
Nerdie

Postby JRF » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:16 am

Nerdie , some clarification , please .

1- The link you mention relates to Visual C++ :
do you have any indication of this product in the error popup you get ?

2- You first said there was a loop with the error popup , now you mention PP crashes :
do you still are unable to get off the popup and have to kill PP with Task Manager ?

3- During your usual 3 days of computer-ON , do you use to "clean" the temp files ? (and other files , caches , etc , left by MS and other) ?

4- Same question for the Registry bad/obsolete entries .

5- Using Task Manager you could verify these figures , after 1.5 day of activity :
-- in the Processes tab : the Memory Peak , and the Virtual Storage size : please report the five bigger numbers with the correspondent process names .
-- in the Performance tab : the numbers for Physical Memory (Total/Available/Cache), and Commit Charge (Total/Limit) .

6- Pressing keys (Windows + Pause) you could report :
-- the "Computer" info (CPU , GHz and RAM) ,
-- in the tab [Advanced > Performance-Configuration > Advanced > Virtual Memory] the size of Page File (then click Cancel > Cancel) .
• (PP + IMAP + Send)=381 Web=3808 PPT=38 SSL=1005 Voice=3 Chime=3 Skin=36 PP-Add-on-Pack=3 • XPproSP3 • Fx=1301 Opera=1162 [IE=80] • Online-Armor=5501616 • CPU=1.2GHz • RAM=2.5GB •
JRF

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:39 pm

As JRF suggested, I think that tracking some of the resource values may be the best way to see what's causing the problem. Make sure you have the following columns in Task Manager (to add them in XP, it's View / Select Columns):
Mem Usage
VM Size
Handles
GDI Objects

I think that Vista has renamed one or more of those... if you can't figure out which columns to include, I'll probably be going back into Vista within a few hours so I'll try to look them up while I'm there.

If possible, try to check on the values every several hours and make a note of each one. I haven't been running very long (couple of hours, maybe), but for a point of reference:
Mem: 7,776K
VM: 23,156K
Handles: 559
GDI: 180

Memory usage will be dependant on how many and the size of the messages you have (I have 1600 messages). I think that the most likely candidates for this error are GDI Objects or handles.
Jeff
Admin \ Developer

Postby Nerdie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:18 pm

@ JRF:

1. No, just guessing and trying to help, sorry... :oops:

2. Yes, typically user blindness: the loop thing is still happening, and because I have to let it 'crash' manually by the task manager, I just called it a 'crash', shortly. Although of course you're right: technically this isn't a crash at all. #-o

3. Nope, it just runs and runs, for months I don't turn it off. Only after installing something that requires a restart, sometimes I say that's OK! 8)
No temp cleaning, no registry messing (tried RegCleaner, it #$%&* up an entire system so much I had to completely reinstall it).

4. Neither. the only thing I do is having a scheduled task running every night, to automatically create a restore point. Works great! I can do a system restore up to a week ago. Rarely use that, though, but just in case... :roll:

5. OK, I'll have to come back on this one: the loop just happened again so POP Peeper is just running fine again. Did I mention already that POP Peeper doesn't just crash 'out of the blue'? It happens only when I click the system tray icon, to let POP Peeper pop up. The window comes up then, and directly the loop begins.

6. Oh, this is beauty! Are you offering me to bluntly put that sweet little configuration of mine online? Not many women will have the luck to be using this (but then, relatively, not many are an Oracle database programmer 8) ). Well, here it goes: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU, 3.00 GHz, 3,25 GB RAM, and this I never heard of: Physical Address Extension (I'll Google that tonight!). Virtual memory is initially 4990 MB and the maximum is 6144 MB. =P~
You bet everything is tweaked well! 8)
Despite that, I really feel stupid not knowing how to solve this one thingy with POP Peeper... everything else works just fine, like it did on my older config... damn, sorry I need help for this... :oops:

@ Jeff:

Hehe, Vista... that's nice if one's not doing too much with the system. And if all the system message crap doesn't bother, and if... well, no, I'm not a fan of that. :|
So I sticked with my love-and-hate-relationship called XP! :lol:

OK, now it's approximately one hour ago since the last stop-and-start of POP Peeper and the task manager says:
Mem Usage 3.252 K
VM Size 8.496 K
Handles 264
GDI Objects 453

I'm sure it will help if you ask for it, so I'll try keeping the log you mentioned. But I'm quite busy, so the time intervals may vary...! :)

Greetings from Holland,
Nerdie.
Nerdie

Postby Jeff » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:40 pm

It happens only when I click the system tray icon, to let POP Peeper pop up. The window comes up then, and directly the loop begins.

Ok, that makes some sense considering the error. In that case, I suspect GDI Objects will be the value to watch.

I've rebooted since my report yesterday, but I've been running for close to 9 hours today:
Mem: 7,896K
VM: 24672K
Handles: 545
GDI: 187

I may have found a way to exacerbate the number of gdi objects -- by viewing messages in HTML. Do you view a lot of messages using HTML?

Also, I didn't mention this before, but when you see the first error message popup, make sure you check task manager and record the values before killing PP.

So I sticked with my love-and-hate-relationship called XP!

That's good, because I forgot to look them up when I went in there yesterday.

Not many women will have the luck to be using this (but then, relatively, not many are an Oracle database programmer ).

So you're the one!
Jeff
Admin \ Developer

Postby Nerdie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:54 am

I may have found a way to exacerbate the number of gdi objects -- by viewing messages in HTML. Do you view a lot of messages using HTML?

Yep, you're exactly right again: I view everything in HTML. It's set up as standard for every kind of mail, in the settings, because about 80% of the mails I receive are made up in HTML anyway. But that was the case on my older system too...

Also, I didn't mention this before, but when you see the first error message popup, make sure you check task manager and record the values before killing PP.

OK, I will!

So you're the one!

Not many of them in America either? Thought you'd have more female programmers there, percentually...! :)

Though, It's a wonder how you guys (and girls!) find the time for coding... with so many supercool stuff around you!! New York, man, am I jealous! :wink: :D :P
Nerdie

Postby Nerdie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:09 am

OK, here you are:

23-07-2009 21:26
Mem Usage 3.524 K
VM Size 8.604 K
Handles 264
GDI Objects 513

23-07-2009 22:30
Mem Usage 6.388 K
VM Size 8.748 K
Handles 258
GDI Objects 828

24-07-2009 12:18
Mem Usage 2.880 K
VM Size 18.688 K
Handles 348
GDI Objects 5.019

24-07-2009 13:20
Mem Usage 5.736 K
VM Size 19.372 K
Handles 364
GDI Objects 5.327

24-07-2009 18:12
Mem Usage 3.724 K
VM Size 22.524 K
Handles 361
GDI Objects 6.792

24-07-2009 20:56
Mem Usage 8.456 K
VM Size 24.968 K
Handles 409
GDI Objects 7.630

24-07-2009 23:37
Mem Usage 12.136 K
VM Size 26.788 K
Handles 413
GDI Objects 8.435

25-07-2009 08:34
Mem Usage 16.704 K
VM Size 30.148 K
Handles 413
GDI Objects 9.999

Loop: first error message , killing PP ,

right after that:

25-07-2009 08:35
Mem Usage 2.604 K
VM Size 7.316 K
Handles 267
GDI Objects 136

It looks like you're indeed totally right about the GDI objects! Now what to do about that...? Not viewing everything in HTML, you said? Maybe you can recommend some settings?

Although I still don't quite get the cause of the loop: it didn't happen on my older system, so I'd say the solution could well be outside of POP Peeper.

Thinking about 2 things: the different processor architecture (now using a quad core, previously a single core) or a dll or something (that has little to do with POP Peeper directly).

These are of course just some vague thoughts... :| Thanks for analyzing!! :)
Nerdie

Postby JRF » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:42 pm

Nerdie , thanks for your nice participation . That is right , you have a jet plane with beautiful numbers , nothing to say on that .

While Jeff works on that GDI overpopulation , here go some suggestions , please reply .

... Not viewing everything in HTML, you said ? Maybe you can recommend some settings ?

7- You are really brave if I understood you are using the PP-Viewing-Preference=HTML :D

If so , for your security (and to mitigate those GDI rabbits) consider this :

-- click Options > Set Options > View Msgs tab > change settings as below > click OK :
PP View-Msgs Options (JRF) 20090502 .jpg

-- then open any msg > click View > Customize Toolbar , select and add these buttons : [Plain-txt , Rich-txt , HTML , Process Att. , Rem. Remote] , and click Close :
PP Toolbar = View-msg-window x Security (JRF) 20090719 .jpg

These toolbar buttons will give you instant control over the msg display and security :
as soon as you open the msg , you may decide about its trust level , and delete the msg , or view it in the way you prefer .

These suggestions will not diminish your operation quality . Besides , you will probably delete most of the junk before the HTML processing (I am also supposing you are using PP-Retrieval=Entire or Preview , and this is OK) .

... (the PC) just runs and runs, for months I don't turn it off ...
No temp cleaning, no registry messing (tried XXXXX , it #$%&* up an entire system ...
The only I have is a scheduled task (every night), to create a restore point ...

8- You are a perfect candidate to the PP-team on helping WCG , have a look :!:

Like you , I love(hate) XP too , but it is a common sense that long time operations increase the chance of glitches . You have a scheduled task to create a system restore point every 24h , and my suggestion is that you implement a simple scheme with a few tasks after that one :

-- create the restore point , then with 5 min intervals :
-- start some tool to exit PP , and to exit Firefox (or do it manually before going to bed :oops: )
btw, set Fx-Tools>Options>Clear history when Fx closes>Settings>mark Cache ?and? Cookies.
-- start CCleaner with command line /AUTO (this cleans only files , not the Registry) (*)
-- start Firefox (perhaps at a later time , e.g. 06:00 h) .
-- start PP (perhaps at a later time , e.g. 06:05 h) .

(*) Even if you do not want to use CCleaner , the other tasks will be beneficial . But if you will use it , let me know before it is first run , to give you some hints on CCleaner settings .
• (PP + IMAP + Send)=381 Web=3808 PPT=38 SSL=1005 Voice=3 Chime=3 Skin=36 PP-Add-on-Pack=3 • XPproSP3 • Fx=1301 Opera=1162 [IE=80] • Online-Armor=5501616 • CPU=1.2GHz • RAM=2.5GB •
JRF

Postby Nerdie » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi JRF,

Thanks for the recommendations! And for the invitation, too: I'll consider that... :)

Besides , you will probably delete most of the junk before the HTML processing (I am also supposing you are using PP-Retrieval=Entire or Preview , and this is OK) .

Junk mail, that's typically what a hotmail account is a good idea for: it ditches the crap before it ever gets the chance to show up in POP Peeper! So I rarely have to sort out and delete junk mail manually. That hotmail address is easy for entering online wherever an email address is required, the other ones are for friends and for stuff I really trust. :roll:

-- start some tool to exit PP , and to exit Firefox (or do it manually before going to bed :oops: )
btw, set Fx-Tools>Options>Clear history when Fx closes>Settings>mark Cache ?and? Cookies.

On exiting Firefox it already cleans everything (except the passwords, of course). And I have the habit of closing everything with a permanent direct internet connection, before the end of the day... so Firefox and others are closed down when I close down, too. :lol:

Only POP Peeper checks my 5 mail accounts every 1 hour, 24 hours/day. I love that, 'cause when I can't sleep, it's easy checking / reading the latest mail and then try again. :)

And it's really true: none of the actual POP Peeper settings differ from what they were on my old system. That one had less good hardware, but maybe more dll's and stuff. And POP Peeper never crashed on that system... :|

Otherwise, is there a possibility to enlarge the maximum amount of handles (per task)? :?:

Thanks again,
Nerdie.
Nerdie

Postby Jeff » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:42 pm

This is pure theory with absolutely no basis -- has your version of IE been updated to IE8? I don't do automatic updates (download-only) and I think it was only about a month ago that it was installed for me. PP uses an IE-based control to display HTML, which is why that's relevant.

I still have IE7 on Vista so I'll see if that has a similar issue.

Of note:
23-07-2009 22:30 GDI = 828
24-07-2009 12:18 GDI = 5.019

I'm taking a guess here -- you woke up, you had tons of new messages, so you read them and then checked on task manager? I'm assuming that opening HTML-based messages is what's causing the problem, and not something that occurs while PP is just sitting in the toolbar.
Jeff
Admin \ Developer

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:11 pm

I took another look at this in my XP box, and I'm not sure if simply viewing HTML messages is the problem. After doing some research, it seems that the control intentionally holds onto resources and this is a known issue. However, in my own experimenting, while viewing one HTML message increases the number of GDI objects by 100-200, viewing subsequent messages does not cause such a dramatic increase.

Also, I found that XP does limit the number of GDI objects to 10,000. You can increase the number (I'd have to look it up again if that interests you), but it's not going to solve the problem.
Jeff
Admin \ Developer

Postby Nerdie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:46 pm

Sorry for the late reply, things are incredibly busy here! :shock:

IE... I've been thinking of uninstalling that, while I never use it. Firefox is all one needs for surfing and all, right? Though the hassle of uninstalling it, and the risk for half of XP not working anymore, lead me into leaving it alone. Not taking a look at it anyway, I don't upgrade it, either... so the version is still six dot something. :|

Still, the crash every two days happens just when I want to start seeing the new mail. Initially, only the headers are fetched. When I click POP Peeper in the system tray, directy the loop begins. Then I kill it with the task manager and start POP Peeper again, after which I see my new mail for the first time that day.

By the way, wouldn't it be possible to use FF's engine for POP Peeper, instead of IE's? That would be so cool!! Also because in FF it's possible to open a link in a new window, using the middle mouse button... one of those unmissable features. :D

Oh, and totally off topic: being able to change the icons (or the skin as a whole) would be a really great addition...! The icons got better along the way, but still... :)

Thanks again for all your help, I'd be so relieved when that loop thing wouldn't occur anymore! If I can do anything to assist a little, just mention it, please. :wink:
Nerdie

Postby JRF » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Nerdie , just short answers , I have run out of time :

... I've been thinking of uninstalling IE , ... the version is still six ...

Keep IE , as 6.x if you want , lots of appls use its modules , and please apply all the MS Critical fixes related . You may just not open IE , keep Firefox as Default-browser (but some MS support pages require IE) .

wouldn't it be possible to use FF's engine for POP Peeper, instead of IE's?

No , the number of IE users is significantly higher than of Firefox .

Also because in FF it's possible to open a link in a new window ...

Yes , I share with you the admiration for Firefox , specially for the security control you may have on it . Btw , a trustable Firefox must have at least these companions : NoScript , RefControl , AdBlock Plus , and Force-TLS (which is in Beta yet) .

If I can do anything to assist a little, just mention it, please

Yes , while the changing of the XP GDI limit (found by Jeff) is not researched , you could :

-- give a three days trial for the solutions on my previous item #7 (you will find that you can read many of your msgs without HTML , and if needed , you just click in the Toolbar) .

-- even not cleaning your PC trash (as proposed in my previous item #8) , at least restart PP at the moment you "close everything with a permanent direct internet connection, before the end of the day..."
JRF

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Even if you don't use IE, you may want to consider updating it to IE8. Don't do that just yet, though...

Have you switched your prefs so that PP displays messgaes using Rich or Plain Text? If not, it would be helpful if you tried that for a couple days just to see if that helped with this issue. That way we would have a better idea if the problem is related to HTML viewing or not. You can add 'HTML' to the toolbar button to view select messages in HTML, but try to keep it to a minimum while testing this.

You said that the problem occurs when you attempt to access PP the first time that day. Would it be possible for you to check the GDI objects before going to sleep and then again just before you attempt to access PP? There's no reason that GDI objects should be increasing when PP is minimized, so that's suspicious.

Since you keep your computer on 24/7, when was the last time you rebooted Windows?

By the way, wouldn't it be possible to use FF's engine for POP Peeper, instead of IE's?

I don't know if FireFox even has the capability, but with so many other things on my todo, it's just not worth the time.

Oh, and totally off topic: being able to change the icons (or the skin as a whole) would be a really great addition...! The icons got better along the way, but still...

That's one of the things on the todo, albeit fairly low atm.
Jeff
Admin \ Developer

Postby Nerdie » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:51 am

-- give a three days trial for the solutions on my previous item #7 (you will find that you can read many of your msgs without HTML , and if needed , you just click in the Toolbar) .

OK OK, you've got me: I'll try the new settings. Now I keep pushing the HTML button, for the plain text links don't work in mails from companies that pay for reading mail and clicking their links, like www.euroclix.nl , https://www.moneymiljonair.nl and www.surfrace.nl . They send a lot and I love collecting the points and being paid :D
OK, it's about nothing: 25 to 30 euro's a year, but it's almost a national hobby. :)

-- even not cleaning your PC trash (as proposed in my previous item #8) , at least restart PP at the moment you "close everything with a permanent direct internet connection, before the end of the day..."

That'll certainly work, as the loop only occurs every two to three days. Just curious: could I automate this? :idea:
For if there's a command line option to neatly exit POP Peeper (instead of ending the process, the rough way), then I could put that in a script, together with starting the .exe again, and schedule it! We'd have a damn good workaround, then!! :D 8) :D

Would it be possible for you to check the GDI objects before going to sleep and then again just before you attempt to access PP? There's no reason that GDI objects should be increasing when PP is minimized, so that's suspicious.

OK, I will! You've got a good point there, of course.

Since you keep your computer on 24/7, when was the last time you rebooted Windows?

Ehmm, don't know? :oops:
According to the Event Manager, that was on the twelfth of july. 8)
There's only one good reason for turning the system off completely, right? That's when one will not be home for a few days. Everything has to be unplugged from the electricity net, then. Otherwise, it's better leaving it on. Hardware takes only low resources when not in use, and the monitor and sound system can be switched off when one's not there temporarily.

That's one of the things on the todo, albeit fairly low atm.

Well, Jeff, let's say... couldn't you be cloned? :wink: 8)
You'd have twice as much time for everything, then! :mrgreen:
Nerdie

Postby JRF » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:35 am

Nerdie , I am glad it seems you are more predisposed to the tests :)

... you've got me: I'll try the new settings. Now I keep pushing the HTML button, for the plain text links don't work in mails from companies that pay for reading mail and clicking their links ...
Hum , the recommendations on my previous item #7 point to use Rich-text (not Plain-text) which should permit you activate the links without HTML ... so your euros are guaranteed :)

Just curious: could I automate this? :idea:
For if there's a command line option to neatly exit POP Peeper (instead of ending the process, the rough way), then I could put that in a script, together with starting the .exe again, and schedule it! We'd have a damn good workaround, then!!
Hum , the general lines for this were described on my previous item #8 :

(edited) "... implement a simple scheme with a few tasks (with 5 min intervals each) , after the actual take-a-restore-point task :

-- start some tool to exit PP , and to exit Firefox ...
-- start CCleaner with command line ...
-- start PP ... "

What was implied : by unrelated reasons , there is not a command line in PP to exit the application , but you may , as a suggestion , use Exitdelay to exit the programs you want :

-- firstly disable PP Options > Set Options > General > "Close button will minimize PP"
-- to test Exitdelay (exiting PP) use the command line parameters " pop 1 "
-- after testing , change the Exitdelay command line parameters to " pop 0 "

There's only one good reason for turning the system off completely, right?

That's when one will not be home for a few days. Everything has to be unplugged from the electricity net, then. Otherwise, it's better leaving it on.

Hardware takes only low resources when not in use, and the monitor and sound system can be switched off
Not right :) , I see these other points :

-- as I mentioned on a previous post , even for well defined systems (like yours) , turning the computer off/on will restart the basic software , resetting conditions , cleaning buffers , deleting temp files , etc , diminishing the chances for glitches .

-- although beneficial , this re-boot cleaning process is not performed thoughtfully , and there enters the use of cleaners , like CCleaner also proposed .

-- on the ecological aspect , the energy consumed , and the heat produced are being seriously considered worldwide . You may compensate this negative participation , donating the power of your computer idle time to constructive causes like WCG, as I mentioned before .
JRF

Next

Return to Tech Support