Password Protected Mailboxes No Longer Open After Updating Encryption

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
imalilteapot

Password Protected Mailboxes No Longer Open After Updating Encryption

Post by imalilteapot »

1. Install older build of POPPeeper, v5.4.6
2. Add a Gmail account
3. Fetch Mail
4. Password Protect the account, by editing the account and selecting Password protected
5. Add a password that uses an @ sign, letters, and numbers (this is likely irrelevant)
6. Update to v5.5
7. Close out of PopPeeper and run the command "C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\POPPeeper.exe" -UpdateEncrypt * using an admin account
8. Launch PopPeeper

Expected Results: PopPeeper should load, the mailbox should be accessible after entering the correct password
Actual Results: At launch, error is thrown stating a password mismatch occurred. The mailbox cannot be accessed even after PopPeeper loads and the correct password is entered.

The mailbox cannot be deleted, as the password prompt comes up.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Password Protected Mailboxes No Longer Open After Updating Encryption

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for reporting this, it is a bug in v5.5.

When you start POP Peeper, you will see a prompt like this:
PP_AccountSecurity_v55.png
PP_AccountSecurity_v55.png (7.36 KiB) Viewed 86 times

Notice on the bottom that it says:
"The account is now password protected with the login password"

You should try to edit the account and when prompted for the password, enter the login password for the account (or, specifically, the last login password entered into POP Peeper [e.g. in the case of using Oauth2]). Once you can access the account, you should disable "password protected" and then re-enable it if you want to re-enter your password.
[edit] If you don't change/cycle the password protected option, you will keep getting the same prompt and problem after restarting POP Peeper.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This has been fixed and will be in the next release, v5.5.1.

Sorry for the problem.
imalilteapot

Post by imalilteapot »

Jeff wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:41 pm This has been fixed and will be in the next release, v5.5.1.

Sorry for the problem.
Thanks for the fix. I have an "app password" for this account that was created for PP, but I cant retrieve it in the Google Account settings. I also have tried the "normal" password used to log in to Google, but that didn't work.

I'm not sure if the below helps any but...

Server size: 265283954 bytes
Mem size: 16793180 bytes
File size: 57669892 bytes

Last DB Maint (global): 04/28/24 15:50:40 (5 days)

DB integrity: ok

Last login: 05/03/24 18:45:26 (0 minutes ago)
Last success: 05/03/24 18:45:28 (0 minutes ago)
Last error: -
Consecutive errors: 0

CAPABILITIES:
appendlimit=35651584, auth=oauthbearer, auth=plain, auth=plain-clienttoken, auth=xoauth2, children, compress=deflate, condstore, enable, esearch, id, idle, list-extended, list-status, literal-, move, namespace, quota, sasl-ir, special-use, uidplus, unselect, utf8=accept, x-gm-ext-1, xlist, xyzzy

SSL Certificate Information:
Subject: /CN=imap.gmail.com
Issuer: /C=US/O=Google Trust Services LLC/CN=GTS CA 1C3

TLSv1.3
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, if you don't have access to the password anymore, there are a couple solutions.

The quick and dirty solution is to delete the database file. Obviously you'll lose all your messages, but they will be re-synced on the next mail check. Certain things will be lost, such as user-flags, replied-to status (read-status will sync).
1) If PP is running, go to main menu: Tools / Options; select the "Storage" page; double-click the text "data path" to open File Explorer
2) exit POP Peeper -- main menu: File / Exit
3) In File Explorer opened in step #1, go into the subfolder for your account name
4) Rename data.db (or delete it if you have no regrets, or if you have another backup)
5) Restart POP Peeper

There is another potential solution which would allow you to keep the message data. But it's a little sensitive so I'd prefer to provide that via email; let me know if you want to go that route.
imalilteapot

Post by imalilteapot »

Email please. Thank you.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've sent an email with instructions.