v5.5 on XP

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Bruce

v5.5 on XP

Post by Bruce »

I have POP Peeper on Windows XP Pro SP3. After upgrading to v5.5, all accounts report "SSL connection failed (SSL Plugin is not loaded)"

As per another post, I downloaded SSL (zip), and manually installed the two DLL files into the POP Peeper folder, but this method did not work.

Any suggestions?

Bruce

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.5.0.0
Webmail: 5.1.0.0
SSL: 3.0.13.0
IMAP: 5.5.0.0
SendMail: 5.5.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.1.1.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 4.1.1.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.1.1.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.1.1.0 (disabled)
PPTweaker: 5.5.0.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\
Ini file: C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
Data folder: C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\data\

--- Error ---
Account 1 [0: POP3] ['pop.mail.yahoo.com' (995) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 0] [consec: 1]
- SSL connection failed (SSL Plugin is not loaded) Install SSL: pp://AutoUpdate?ssl

Account 2 [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 0] [consec: 1]
- SSL connection failed (SSL Plugin is not loaded) Install SSL: pp://AutoUpdate?ssl

Account 3 [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 0] [consec: 1]
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: v5.5 on XP

Post by Jeff »

My guess is that OpenSSL v3 simply isn't supported by XP anymore.

I had originally added SSLv3 for PPv6 and I had built SSLv3.0.8 using a similar method I had always used with SSLv1.1. However, when I added SSLv3 support for PPv5.5 and tried building the current version (SSLv3.0.13), I found that it no longer worked and I had to significantly change the procedure. This may be significant as to why XP isn't supported.

You can try using the older version I had built to see if it works (OpenSSL v3.0.8, which I built on Mar 1, 2023):
https://data.esumsoft.com/temp/PP_Ssl308.zip
The alternative is to go back to PPv5.4.6, so let me know if SSLv3.0.8 works or not.

That being said, XP's end of support was over a decade ago, and I was surprised that the esumsoft download page still mentioned support for XP, which I have now changed.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I downloaded the OpenSSL v3.0.8 zip and replaced the two v3 dll files...but I got the same errors.

I still use XP for a couple of legacy database programs and was thrilled after reading v5.5 would still support XP.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will roll back POP Peeper to v5.4.6. Is there a download link available? Would I need to first remove v5.5 from my computer?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, that's unfortunate that it didn't work.

I've added v5.4.6 to the download archive:
https://www.esumsoft.com/download/#archive

You can try installing v5.4.6 over v5.5. While I have specifically stated that you shouldn't do this if you don't also restore from a backup, I'd say it's worth trying. This assumes that you did not update the encryption on the databases or add any new accounts since using v5.5. The former requires an explicit action on your part and I can assume the latter isn't applicable since virtually every email service these days requires SSL.

It is possible that other encryption updates occurred while using v5.5. Most likely the side-effects would be that your account data is empty and you'd have to re-enter information into your accounts (login, password, server address, port, etc.).
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for the link.

All my account information (login, password, server address, port, etc.) did successfully transfer from my previous v5.4.6 into v5.5.

You do, however, bring up a good point. Since my previous v5.4.6 did not support Oauth2, I had to use app-generated passwords. Perhaps after upgrading to a newer version, these app-generated passwords are no longer valid. If this is true, would I get the previously mentioned "SSL connection failed (SSL Plugin is not loaded)" errors...or..."([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] LOGIN Invalid credentials)" errors?

I will try new app-generated passwords for v5.5 but if this won't work, I will completely remove and roll back.

Thanks!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You'd get the "AUTHENTICATIONFAILED" error. The app-passwords aren't tied to anything in particular; you can even use the same generated password in 2 different clients.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I successfully reinstalled v5.4.6.0. I am now attempting to restore POP Peeper to my previous, optimal settings. However, I'm fumbling with one.

When I previously deleted an email in Message Mode, POP Peeper quickly deleted the message from the view pane. It was simple and quick.

When I delete an email now, it seems to take about 10-15 seconds to delete. It appears after each deletion, POP Peeper will check for new email because the Check Mail icon will display the STOP symbol (red circle with white X).

All my accounts are configured for POP.

Is there a setting to just delete the email without checking for new messages?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

By default, PP deletes mail on the next check because it's more efficient and it can give a little more time in case of a mistake. The option you're looking for is here:
main menu: Tools / Options
General page
Enable "Advanced options"
Enable "Delete mail immediately"
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I had already opted for Advanced Options and Delete Mail Immediately...as well as only to download headers. However, after I delete an email today, POP Peeper logs back into the server and I get the STOP icon on the Check Mail button. Also, my previous POP Peeper would remove all read-but-not-deleted email from the viewing pane.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

What you're describing is expected and how it has always worked, so that's probably not the option you were using (and I'd probably recommend disabling it).

What about "hide read" -- when you delete a message, it also marks it as read and so it would be hidden in that case. It doesn't delete the message from the server immediately, but it does hide it from PP's list immediately.

Main menu: Messages / Hide read messages
Or for quick toggle, it may already be on the toolbar for quick toggle; or at least it can be added: View / customize toolbar